Scott E. Kauff
Scott established the Law Offices of John K. Dema’s Washington, DC regional office in Rockville, Maryland in 2004. Scott’s practice concentrates in the areas of environmental and toxic torts litigation. Prior to joining the Law Offices of John K. Dema, Scott was affiliated with a national law firm’s Washington, DC office.
Scott has extensive experience representing parties in natural resource damages (“NRD”) actions brought pursuant to federal and state laws. He has worked with clients in both prosecuting and defending NRD claims. When at the national law firm, Scott assisted a client obtain an order granting summary judgment in a multi-billion dollar claim for NRD due to contamination of ground water. Scott represents New Jersey, Maryland, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in their assertion of multi-million dollar NRD claims.
Due to his extensive experience representing NRD Trustees and assisting Attorneys General, Scott is a frequent speaker regarding NRD law, regularly speaking before members of the environmental bar, as well as industry and governmental leaders.
Scott also represents the State of New Jersey and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in their claims against the oil industry concerning the gasoline additive, methyl tertiary butyl ether (“MTBE”). These cases involve State-wide and Commonwealth-wide claims against dozens of oil companies involving thousands of contaminated sites.
In addition to litigating NRD and MTBE claims, Scott has represented parties in environmental torts suits, including class actions. These matters have focused on personal injury and property damage allegedly caused by handling, disposal, and release of hazardous materials.
Scott also has spent significant time pursuing and defending CERCLA claims seeking contribution for remediation costs.
Prior to attending law school, Scott was a Water Resources Associate at the New York State Water Resources Institute. He assisted in the facilitation of negotiations between the New York City Department of Environmental Protection and several upstate New York municipalities regarding the protection of the New York City drinking water supply.
While in school, Scott clerked and interned in various offices of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources.
- Environmental Litigation
- Natural Resource Damages
- Toxic Torts
- Products Liability
- Environmental, Health & Safety Counseling
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania
- B.A., cum laude, Cornell University
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rdCircuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association (former member)(Section of Environment, Energy & Resources, Vice Chair, Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee, Liaison to Plaintiff’s Bar, Author of Quarterly Articles for Newsletter)
- District of Columbia Bar
- Cornell Class Vice President
- Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network – Co-Chair of Potomac/Rockville Committee
- Montgomery County Water Quality Advisory Group (former member)
- Penn Law Class Reunion Committee (former member)